Average Americans individual spend more than 5 hours every day glued to their smartphones. (Ref. TechCrunch) This wreaks havoc on your spine as well as stiff and weak neck and shoulder muscles. In fact, hunching over mobile and laptop screens is one of the leading causes of spinal misalignment and it also triggers headaches, pinched nerves, and splints.
How can you change this?
Poor posture can be corrected with a little bit of chiropractic care and exercise. But some exercises can be dangerous for those with severe shoulder and neck pain and these can lead to muscle sprains. So, try these simple stretches recommended by chiropractors to relieve neck and shoulder tension instead:
- Stand in a comfortable position.
- Place your hands on your hips.
- Turn your head slowly to your side. Hold for 10-20 seconds.
- Repeat for the next side and do it 4-5 times.
The great thing about this stretch is that it can also be done while sitting at your office desk. Just take deep breaths and place your hands on your lap instead.
Revamped Hand Clasp Stretch
- Stand up straight.
- Clasp your hands behind you.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades closer
- Tilt your head back up as you do it.
- Hold it for 5-7 seconds and do 3 sets.
This will also loosen up your stiff chest muscles and is also a great way to relieve spinal tension. It also reduces pressure on the chest because of habitual hunching.
- Get in a comfortable standing or sitting position.
- Slowly try to align your chin with your chest, i.e. pull your chin and head back.
- Repeat 5 times
- You will feel a stretch but don’t overdo it.
This postural exercise strengthens the suboccipital muscles and it is recommended by chiropractors to correct a rounded back and poor posture.
Don’t let pain pin you down! If stiff neck and shoulder muscles are a recurrent problem, do these stretches regularly. But it is important to Visit your nearest chiropractor if you are suffering from chronic neck and shoulder aches regularly. He or she will decide the best exercises tailor-made for you to reduce pain and restore your health normally with easy stretches and little manual adjustments.